Friday, December 19, 2008

At the onset, let me allow the feeling to pass - The nagging feeling that makes me want to abuse that A*****E!

In the last 10 years, at no point (before 9 PM) have I felt unsafe in my city. I have always believed that the people around are helpful and friendly. But society always has its bunch of frustrated, disgusting, screwed up perverts who think that any girl walking on the road should be converted into material for their F*** all fantasies!

I do some volunteer work for an NGO that manages kids. I was a couple of steps away from the centre when a guy got off his bike and went to the nearest wall. I ignored his actions as I thought he probably had to relieve himself. Answering nature's call is probably the second most popular national pastime (the first being spitting). Only, instead of facing the wall, he turned towards me and very shamelessly started flashing his organs... right there, in broad daylight... And began using some colourful language. My first instinct, in unexpected situations, is aggression and for a millisecond I stopped to pick up a stone. But I realised that the roads were empty, with not a soul in sight (except that bastard and me). Feeling rather helpless, I made a dash for it and ran to the centre. I spent my time there constructively but the incident was stuck in my head.

No, it isn't going to scar me for life or imbibe me with fear. But sometimes I feel that growing up as a girl in this country restricts my freedom as an individual. Why is it that we're the ones who are always told to dress, talk, eat, behave in a way that will not draw attention and have to live under suspicion all the time? Do mothers/fathers/family not teach their oh-so-beloved boys how to behave in public? It disgusts me to no end!

All evening there's been a recurring thought. The incident took place a few metres away from a place where little kids go to have fun, learn and interact with people. How safe is their neighbourhood?

As for that guy, I just hope no one ever abuses his child. The world can really do with some moral cleansing!

1 comment:

dEeBeE ! said...

yes girl! I agree with you!there are a bunch of guys who are that crazy! m sure he would realize it some day that wat he did was just not right!

and as far as security or safety for the girls in our country or anywhere in this world is concerned..we gotta just watch out for those hungry men..