Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Of Conversations

This one took place between my parents while we were in the car. I had just related a story about someone I knew who had eloped. Her folks were livid and had come close to disowning the girl.

Baba: How crazy! Just because the boy isn't from their community, it doesn't mean he isn't a good human being. I wonder why parents do this.

Ma: I know what you mean. Some parents spend their lives trying to make their children independent and want them to stand on their own feet but when it comes to choosing a life partner, they want to be in control. Isn't it a little hypocritical?

Baba: I don't know about others but I'm sure of one thing. I will never force my decision on my kids. Let them marry people from any religion, caste, community, nationality... As long as they're genuinely happy...that's all that matters...

The conversation set me thinking.

It's rather difficult to express how it feels to grow up in a house where all channels of communication are wide open. You just learn the ways of the world at your dining table and know that no matter what you go through, your folks will always understand. Nothing else is as reassuring.

Ma, Baba - Thank you for getting everything that we say. Even in our moments of deafening silence.

No comments: