Friday, December 5, 2008

You say knock knock
I open the door wide to let you in
We talk over a cup of tea, perhaps several
And then it's time to leave

You say knock knock
I open the door wishing it's you
You walk in and we brew the tea together
And one day you realise it's coffee you crave for

I close my door and hope it remains that way
May the latch never be pulled down again
I have no one to wait for, no one to see
I sip my tea while it's still warm
Silence is a stranger no longer

You say knock knock
And use your key to let yourself in
I've grown to enjoy my tea by myself
You've left the door swinging

The wind blows hard
It creaks that wooden board
The hinges are getting loose
The door's opening wider

And then you say knock, knock
I'm pleased to see you
The tea boils over and flows over the counter
But it hardly matters
Using another cup makes me happy
And don't worry about doing the dishes
Just leave the door ajar, I've learnt to clean up the mess...

No comments: