Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Today's lunch turned out to be quite strange. I had some work to attend to and was meeting Rith to catch up on all the news over a meal. I took a table and was just settling down when the waiter (whom we shall call "H") came with the menu card. I told him that I was waiting for someone to join me and we would place our order soon. He smiled and said "Okay, Ma'am. Once your friend comes, please call out my name and I'll come and take your order." I agreed and followed the instructions once Rith came. We stuck to our favourites and H seemed unusually happy to serve us. Mid-way through the meal he came and asked us if we were enjoying ourselves and ten minutes later, he brought us fresh water and extra napkins (and went overboard with his smiles). Rith and I thought it was really odd because all the times that we've eaten in that restaurant (and its other branches), no one's tried so hard to impress us. More importantly, we didn't know why! Anyway, we finished our meal, continued chatting and finally when the bill came, Rith and I lost it. We couldn't stop giggling. Not shy, girlie giggles but more like WTF-is-wrong-with-him giggles. We paid the bill and walked out. Rith, your charm continues to work like magic and may it always be so :)



As for H, we weren't very generous with our tip.

At another branch, the waiter wanted to know if I was Assamese because he was from Assam and my name apparently sounds very Assamese. I wasn't charged for his lopsided smile. Wotevah!

No comments: