Thursday, May 13, 2010

Flummox. I like the way the word sounds. I like the way it's written. But most of all I like what it means.

I was told that the place we were going to was rather fancy. A small celebration for my newly acquired Masters degree. I decided to wear a pretty top, matching jewellery, my hot black pumps and minimum make up. I was all set for a great night with some exotic food and wine.

Once we reached and settled down, the owner of the restaurant came over to our table. She and my aunt got talking.

Aunt: I love the way the place is done up. The paintings, the furniture, the crockery... lovely!

Owner: Yeah? Thank you much. That painting there (pointing to a wall) was done by my son. He's 6 years old. I designed the plates and glasses.

Aunt: They are beautiful. Your pottery is very nice.

Owner: I like the colours and the glaze. I want to visit the pottery school in Pondicherry.

At this point (after taking a few sips of my drink) I added my two bits.

Me: I've seen this kind of textured pottery only in Pondicherry. Even your mats are made of handmade paper, right?

Owner: Oh yes, they have some very fascinating stuff there.

I agreed and mentioned that it's one of my favourite places.

After a while, she turned to me and asked "So what do you do? You're still in school?"

Me: School? £%^&$*(!!!!

For a few seconds, I wondered what just hit me.

Flummox (v): To confuse, bewilder

No comments: